Things have changed more than ever across the globe this year. We are moving to a more digital world with remote learning, remote work, and surprisingly, digital beauty trends, too! Virtual consultations for skincare have blossomed and become one of 2020’s biggest beauty trends. Getting a virtual skincare consultation can actually help you get amazing results!
The Beauty Industry is Turning Virtual
Historically, the beauty industry has always relied on face-to-face interactions. Whether it’s heading to the salon to get a fresh hairstyle, soothing your skin with a facial, visiting an esthetician, or swatching products to see what makes you feel beautiful, face-to-face interactions have always been the norm. But a global pandemic has forced the beauty industry as a whole to make rapid changes!
In adapting to changing times, virtual consultations for skincare and beauty let industry specialists reach us right in our own homes. Connecting with makeup artists, estheticians, and skincare experts is easier than ever. Beyond that, tools like Artificial Reality (AR) let you try on hair colors, foundation and lipstick shades, all from a screen. Social distancing actually has one huge advantage—time! For experts in the skincare world, life is busy. But with more time on their hands and a new landscape for giving advice, you have the chance to set up individualized virtual consultations with professionals who can help you get amazing results.
How COVID-19 Has Affected Medical Professionals
COVID-19 has affected so many people in different ways. One area that many people didn’t consider is how your skin is reacting to changing conditions. Acne breakouts are popping up even on people who typically don’t have acne-prone skin. Between masks trapping bacteria in your skin and the stress of the pandemic causing depression, stress, anxiety, and restlessness, your skin is producing more oil that can cause acne.
However, for health care providers and essential workers, skincare is more important than ever. Since these people are forced to wear specialized masks for long periods of time, they are experiencing awful skin consequences. From painful chafing to skin breakage and abrasions, there are issues far beyond acne affecting people who are working to protect us during these challenging times.
For essential workers, healthcare providers, and those of us just struggling with masks and stress-causing skincare woes, talking to a professional is so important. Estheticians can help you cope with different skin issues arising during the pandemic, so setting up virtual consultations is an easy way to stay on top of your skin
How Intense Stress Affects Your Skin
Stress impacts your skin and your health in so many ways. If you are someone who already faces skin issues like eczema, rosacea, or psoriasis, stress can trigger flare-ups and worsen your condition. During times like these, stress is unavoidable. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to manage your stress and help keep your skin happy.
Stress causes breakouts, but how can you prevent them from getting worse? To stop the spread of acne and prevent scars, try not to touch or pick at pimples. Make sure you’re taking care of your health and wellness: get plenty of sleep, stay hydrated, add probiotics, make sure your diet is healthy, and exercise!
Another major tip is to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. Instead of trying to dry out breakouts, which leads to the overproduction of oil, make sure to keep your skin moisturized.
Before Virtual Consultations, Make Sure You Take Care Of Your Skin
Taking care of your skin is so important—remember, it is your largest organ! A virtual skincare consultation is so helpful for taking care of your skin, but before you set up your consultation, you should do your best to take care of your skin so that you’re only addressing real issues.
Striving to have beautiful and healthy skin helps boost your confidence. Plus, improving skin conditions and making sure you feel your best helps you stay happy and healthy overall. Estheticians and other virtual consultants will help figure out a plan to work toward your skin goals and address any issues.
How do Virtual Consultations Work?
You can schedule virtual consultations with estheticians and other skincare professionals. They will work with you one-on-one to address your skin concerns and help you create a plan for improving your skin. During virtual consultations, the professional will look at all areas of your wellness, like your diet, lifestyle, stress, environment, skin concerns, and the products you currently use. Then, you’ll work together to create a custom skincare regimen that will address your issues!
How To Help Your Skin During COVID
It’s absolutely essential to maintain a consistent skincare routine, especially during stressful times like the pandemic. To keep your skin calm, clear, and healthy, you have to actively work to take care of your skin! Even though you are working from home and possibly spending more time inside, sunscreen and skincare are so important. When you are inside more, different factors affect your skin, like artificial light, less fresh air, and even bacteria from different surfaces.
Here are some quick tips for protecting your skin:
- Make sure you stay hydrated.
- Eat a healthy diet. Avoid processed foods, excess cheese or dairy, sugar, or starchy foods.
- Add plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole foods.
- Get enough sleep! Sleep impacts every aspect of your health, but especially your skin.
- Use SPF to protect your skin from blue light and UV rays.
How To Have The Spa Experience At Home
Beyond virtual consultations, you can actually create an at-home spa experience for yourself.
To create an at home skin experience, here are some ideas!
- Make sure to cleanse your skin. If you’re wearing makeup, try a double cleanse to make sure you really get your skin clean!
- Steam your skin! This helps open up your pores. Cover your head with a towel and then lower your head over a pot of hot water. Add essential oils or herbal tea to create a more spa-like experience.
- Exfoliate with a scrub. This helps remove dead skin cells and clear out pores! Make sure to choose a scrub that matches your skin type—if you have sensitive skin, don’t pick an overly abrasive scrub.
- Apply a face mask. There are so many amazing face masks to choose from, and each one delivers concentrated benefits! After you’ve let the mask sit, give your skin a nice massage while rinsing it off to help boost skin circulation.
- Use toner on your skin. Make sure to press toner into your skin with cotton pads instead of rubbing. Toners can be hydrating and help prepare your skin to absorb your other skincare.
- Add a serum and nourishing moisturizer to your routine. Since your skin is so prepped, now is a great time to add some nutrients and beneficial ingredients with a great serum and moisturizer.
- Finish up by taking care of the rest of your face. Use a moisturizing lip balm and a hydrating eye cream to make sure your whole face is taken care of!
Creating an at-home facial is a great way to supplement virtual consultations and keep your skin healthy and happy.
Virtual consultations for skincare can make a huge difference in how you take care of your skin. Especially during times of intense stress, skincare impacts how you look and feel. Contact an esthetician or skincare professional to help you develop a plan that works for your unique skin needs!